Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Another Netflix Recommendation, a Poem, a Thought on Hubris


Good stuff to be found on Netflix lately. I have eagerly anticipated Bidder 70 for some time now. And I finally had a chance to watch it yesterday. I have followed Tim DeChristopher for a while and have wanted to learn more about his story. He is a young man who found himself in a great postion to stand up for something he believes in, he took action, and he went to jail for it. What the film did for me was supply a better understanding of his motivation as an erstwhile environmentalist.
And it shined a light on how little I stand up for my own beliefs in this fight.

Without a villain,we have no need for heroes.

On a side note, "Ozymandias" (a Shelley poem) has been haunting me lately.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away". 

And I have been haunted by the Pogo Earth Day poster lately as well.


We have met the enemy, Ozymandias, and he is us.

May you find yourself in a great position to stand up for something you believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment