Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Lubbock on a Bike: 40 Percent Shows Up Again


Yesterday after work I swung by Hodges Community Center to vote. I was on the bike. When I walked up to the table, a friendly volunteer (who had a Mary Steenburgen vibe) asked, "So, are you the local-crossing-guard guy?"

I had a moment of confusion and then realized she was referring to my lovely reflective vest. "Nope, I'm the local-crossing-town-on-a-bike-at-5-o'clock guy." She and her volunteer compatriot laughed and told me that I was very brave and that there was absolutely no way they would ride a bicycle in Lubbock. Then the first lady said, "But I wish more people would ride a bike. I think we'd all be a lot better off."

Amen!

This morning my blog feed had a new post from Bike 5 - Trip Reduction Therapy. I love it when I run across someone else's writing that expresses something I have been thinking or wish I had been thinking. I started commuting on a bike because it was the cheapest, most convenient form of green transportation I could find. I was trying to find a way to burn less gas. Along the way, I found a lot of other benefits too, not the least of which is that I enjoy living more.

That particular post is based on Bob tracking how many car trips he has replaced with bike or walking trips. Coincidentally, he finds that he has replaced 40% of his car trips. Hmm...maybe it's a thing.

In case you are not a link clicker, I am sharing the penultimate paragraph (busting out the big words today!) from today's Bike 5 post. Maybe it'll ring a bell or two with you too!


May we all be crazy stupid brave enough to make a lot of differences daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment