Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Lubbock on a Bike: Why I should have ridden today

Beautiful days lately

I rode the bike to work Monday and Tuesday. And I regret not doing so today. Winter and the holidays put a stop to my bike commuting for a bit, and it has felt very good (and strenuously painful) to be back on the bike.

The regret piece comes from this: today is the Senate confirmation hearing for Rex Tillerson, the CEO of Exxon, to become our next Secretary of State. Considering the leader of one of the most environmentally damaging entities our world has known as an appropriate choice for a lead statesman is sickening to me. And I am a cynical man. I fully expect this appointment to be approved.

I don't generally ride for political reasons. I ride to do less damage to the environment and to the people around me. I ride to help my health and my family's budget. I also ride because I enjoy riding and I enjoy being outside. I like getting a better look at the world around me.

I called both of my senators last week and voiced my opinion about Mr. Tillerson's confirmation, but I wish today that I had ridden just to know I had cast one more tiny vote for a world where we work to create a healthier future for everyone.

May we find a better path and may we live to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment