Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Giving Tuesday 2017

It's overwhelming this year.

It always is, but the ravages of climate-change and rise in human volatility have made things seem especially dire. It's pretty easy to stay overwhelmed in our own little bubbles. I'm thankful for days like Giving Tuesday to pull us out of ourselves.

I rode the bike to work this morning - something I haven't done nearly enough lately. I was pedaling along thinking of where I could make a contribution this year. For some reason, the bicycle came to mind. So many virtues in just shutting up and pedaling (Thanks, Bob!). I thought of my two favorite American bicycle organizations, People for Bikes and the League of American Bicyclists. Both would be good places for a donation to make our country a better and safer place to bike. It's funny, we are such a wealthy country and there are bikes everywhere, but very few are actually ridden. We have the means but not the motivation.

So the brain wandered off to organizations that seek out those with the motivation but no means. And that led me to World Bicycle Relief.

 
It's true! (Find it here.)
 
 Then I rode past one of our local parks. The Canadian Geese are starting to arrive. I also saw four cowbirds and a snowy egret. The next choice was easy:

 
I love the SPWRC and its mission. (By the way, you can check the place out this Saturday at their Holiday Open House.) Here is what they do:
 
 
Okay, those are my picks for this year's Giving Tuesday. What are yours?
 
May we all find and support ways to make life better for others!

No comments:

Post a Comment