Thursday, May 21, 2015

Personal Carbon Reduction: Vermicomposting & Find Your Own Worms


Making mistakes. I include this in my list of special skills. Last year we tried vermicomposting (composting with worms) at our house. It did not go so well. I started with two 5-gallon buckets and $25 worth of mail-order red wigglers - the worms known for being the best vermicomposters out there. You probably don't need the gory details. It was an incredibly hot, dry, busy summer.  Worms don't like hot, dry, and busy summers.


This year, I am planning to try again. Since I am too cheap to drop another $25 on worms, I am planning to catch my own by following the advice on this page:

Attracting Compost Worms in Your Backyard

My composter is already built, but if you want to join in on the fun, here are instructions for building your own 3-bucket or 3-tub version for yourself:

How to Make an Inexpensive Worm Bin from (3) Plastic Buckets

And while we are on the subject of personal carbon reduction and worms, check out this Grist article that combines the two:

What do we need to fight climate change? More worms.

May you and those slimy little guys form a garden-feeding, earth-saving pile of compost and worm tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment