Thursday, June 20, 2019

Lubbock on a Bike: Summer Healing

Monday morning

This time of year, things are smoother for this Lubbock cyclist. The rides to work the last two days have been more pleasure cruise than commute. A lot of people are sleeping in. I don't feel the need to avoid school zones. In a weird way, I feel fortunate (in the moment) not to live in a town with great biking infrastructure. Within the confines of Point A and Point B, I am free to take a slightly different route every day. It's less about speed and ease during the summer. It's about enjoying the ride and choosing to see little snippets as the scenic route.

Ducklings from this morning's ride

This morning's ride offered up a mallard hen with her ducklings, a Mississippi kite easing into a tree, a snowy egret in flight, and a silent and deserted paved alley where I stood up on the pedals and coasted like that egret in flight - so much nicer than racing red lights, biting fingernails, and dreading the day.

my favorite Lubbock birdwatching location

This week I had to look through my most recently finished journal to get details for some paperwork. Looking through the book, I realized that this has been one of the hardest of my fifty years, maybe the hardest. There's been little time for blogging, for serving others (outside of our family), for dreaming about (and working on) projects, and for focusing on the people I love. Also, I've taken little time to focus on what I am thankful for.

Today, I am thankful for pedals, feathers, and a twenty minute (very quiet) adventure that brought me to work.

May you find your own tiny adventures throughout your day, and may you know some peace.

Thanks for reading, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment