Saturday, October 26, 2019

How about recycling some plastic at home? (#2 HDPE)

So, have you been looking for a new project to tackle/melt?

[I've not had a lot of time for projects lately, but I have run across something I really want to try, and it's definitely a mesquite huggery thing.]

Recycling, it's been a bummer this year.

The writing has been all over the wall. We've pushed way past peak recycling. The problem? We create garbage far beyond our ability to recycle it. More and more recycling facilities are shutting down or turning away the garbage we send to recycle. In that whole Reduce, Re-Use, Recycle mantra, we've focused way too much on just Recycle.

What's a Mesquite Hugger to do? (Focus on Reducing and Re-using, you dummy!)

Recently, I learned of a way to do some plastic recycling at home: recycle #2 plastic at home! (And use it on some DIY projects I've been wanting to tackle.)



While most recycling is a bigger process than you can (practically) tackle at home, it appears that high density polyethylene is something you can tackle with a toaster oven, a blender, some baking paper, and some shop scraps.

Examples of recycled HDPE lawn furniture

If you've seen recycle-plastic lawn furniture and playground equipment, it's more than likely HDPE, so why not make your own recycled lumber and build whatever you want?

My brain has been swimming (maybe dog-paddling) with things I can build with recycled HDPE stuff. Imagine being able to make your own waterproof building blocks for all kinds of stuff. I've even been eyeing all the #2 recycling around me. Who knew bottle lids and laundry detergent bottles came in such great colors? When I get the cargo bike built, it's gonna need some rear decks...

What are you gonna build?

For the really ambitious among you, this could turn into something big - imagine siding a house (or maybe a solar-powered backyard shed) with HDPE planks/brick you've made. How about building that little white picket fence you always dreamed of? Create your own HDPE samurai armor for special occasions? Panniers? A canoe? Paddles for your canoe? (Yes, I know, my imagination is a little limited today, but I'm hoping your mind is now swimming with some very plastic ideas.)

Maybe we're looking at this whole recycling idea all wrong - maybe it's time to stop relying on others, to get our hands dirty, and to build our own stuff instead of contributing more to the mountains of unrecycled recyclables! (Me, I need to finish this post so I can clean the garage to make some space to practice what I preach.)

Go get 'em, melt 'em, and make 'em into something else!

¡Viva la HDPE revolucĂ­on!

May you be well and joyful. May we all work for better (for all)!

1 comment:

  1. I HDPE there is a yard lounger in my future! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete