Saturday, October 12, 2019

The Writing's on the E-Wall: Personal Health = Eco-Health

I keep finding myself in doctors' offices with my family. We're mostly in the UMC system, so each office has the same electronic reader board that displays a new e-poster every thirty seconds or so. It's smart. We are an A-D-D culture trapped in a tiny room. The scrolling images help us not to go bonkers and give us lots of great health advice that we wouldn't sit still for anywhere else.

Apple, heart, lifestyle changes

Besides the A-D-D thing, I've always been a compulsive reader. If there's a printed word, I can't resist. It's astounding how many cereal boxes I've read as I sat there munching sugar-coated goodness.

So, as we sit waiting for doctors, I have no choice. I have to read. Really - I absolutely have to!

Scale, apple, shoe

What I've come to notice is that the health posters keep telling us the same things to help us live a healthy life:
  • Eat better food
  • Exercise
  • Lose weight
  • Lower your stress
  • Avoid inhaling smoke

Woohoo! This one even has a pic of a bike!

Those messages play over and over. It's amazing how many times I've seen them without making this one simple connection - all of the eco-health-save-the-planet-climate-strike messages I read just as voraciously say the same thing.

Eat Better

  • less and cleaner meat
  • more locally-grown, chemical free veggies
  • less processed foods
  • less processed sugar (There goes my cereal box!)
  • less food served in plastic, stryrofoam, and cardboard


Exercise, Be more Active, Lose Weight

  • utilize people-powered transportation as much as possible (biking, walking, etc.)
  • use stairs
  • ride a bike
  • get outside
  • ride a bike
  • garden
  • ride a bike
  • turn off the TV, phone, computer, tablet
  • ride a bike
  • get off your butt and on your feet
  • ride a bike

(all about the boodie)


Lower Your Stress

  • drive less
  • sleep better/more
  • turn off the electronics
  • exercise
  • eat better
  • spend time with good people


Avoid Inhaling Smoke

  • from tobacco
  • from vaping
  • from tailpipes (cars, trucks, lawn equipment, generators, boats, motorbikes, etc.)
  • from coal power
  • from natural gas
  • from clearing forests

So, there you have it - save yourself and get the added bonus of saving the planet. Not a bad deal at all!

I pray that you are well and getting better. Thanks for reading, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment