Monday, February 10, 2014

Mesquite Hugger Horror Movie Recommendations (With TX tie-ins)


Okay, I admit it, I do not regularly seek out horror movies. If a movie is designed to make me emit bodily fluids in any way, I just don't care to watch it. Any movie designed to make me cry or pee my pants does not make my list of entertainment. If I want to do those things, I just watch the news or talk to a handful of people around me.

Even so, I have watched some truly terrifying films lately.

The first one is a bit of an alien invasion flick. And, like many alien invasion movies, this one starts off in the backwoods; in this case, it's the backwoods of Pennsylvania. The first person narrator starts noticing strange and disturbing things going on around him. He starts talking to neighbors and visits places where livestock and family pets have been killed by unseen forces. The story keeps escalating and the suspense keeps growing. Following the invasion force takes the narrator all over the West and Southwest (the scenes in Fort Worth, Texas are terrifying for this Texas blogger.) The action even leads him to Washington DC, where he learns that the aliens have taken over while the unsuspecting people of the US have slept through the invasion.

The second movie is very similar in plot and scope, but this time it's not an invisible alien force - this time it's friendly and lovable giants that are taking over, and the American public is loving the invasion and not noticing the death and destruction the giants are causing behind the scenes. This one starts in North Carolina and Atlanta, but there's a very scary portion of the film based in Corpus Christi, Texas and another scary scene in DC.

If you like being terrified, I strongly recommend watching them both - Gasland and Tapped, and both are available on Netflix.

And for those of you who want some light-hearted fare to cleanse your palate, I recommend a children's love story called Wall-E to make you feel better about the fate of our planet.

May your movies move you!

No comments:

Post a Comment