Saturday, November 11, 2017

Saturday Morning Ramble: Setting an Example

Who's watching you?

From this morning's walk
 
No, this is not one of those Snowden CIA FBI Homeland Security paranoia questions.

It's a question for you in your everyday life. Who around you is watching what you do? A more important question, though, is what are they learning from watching you?

One of the most important people in my life is an nine-year-old with autism. And he is brilliant, but being nine and autistic means he has a 100 mile per hour brain traveling in six lanes and in five different directions. At that speed, you tend to miss a lot. Subtlety escapes him.

I have had to learn that reassuring looks and gestures mean very little. I have to (very literally) have him look me in the eye and then reassure him with words - at least twice. And if I want to be a good influence, I have to explain my actions.

I am one of the primary influences in his life. It is one of the hardest roles I've ever tried. He keeps me mindful.

But that's not what I wanted to write about today. This is the Mesquite Hugger blog. It's not the Big Brother blog. (It's also not the Big Brother Is Watching You blog.)

Who around you is watching what you do?
What are they learning from watching you?
What do you want them to learn from watching you?

I want them to learn to treat others well - all others. Whether it's interpersonal, professional, or even environmental, I hope to set an example of working to make life better for people, for places, for wildlife.

If you're still reading this, you are probably here because you would like to make the world a better place too (or you're waiting to see if this turns into another electric cargo bike post.)

As you roll through your day, please pay attention to how you're living, how you're treating others, how you're working to get by and how you're working to improve, and who sees you as an example.

What actions do you want to be caught doing?

May your actions make the world a better place and inspire others to do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment