Sunday, April 19, 2020

A Few More Bits of Spring Backyard Phenology! (plants and birds)

Two backyard plants popped out leaves the week.

The pomegranate

I never noticed how similar in color the two plants are. The pomegranate generally produces very little fruit. This year I need to look into caring for it a little better. If anyone has any advice, let me know.

The pomegranate is an unruly beast. My wife is not fond of it, but the flowers are amazing and the sparrows think it the greatest place around.

The crepe myrtle

We have three crepe myrtle on the north facing wall. They are outside the bedroom and bathroom windows and they are my favorite weather vane. They let me know if we've had moisture overnight and they let me know how hard the wind is blowing - the wind is always blowing. I am thankful the previous homeowner chose them.

Easter lily on the kitchen table this week. Thanks, Granny!

Not pictured are the 4 O'clocks that have just started popping up. More of them to come!

Redwing Blackbird at Clapp Park

Not a lot of bird photos this week, but I've seen a lot more house finches and the town seems to be covered in mockingbirds. There's a male grackle who perches each day on top of the tallest tree around and chatters all day. The reeds at the park have thrived this year and they're covered in redwing blackbirds. I started to say that they are some of my faves, but they all are. The older I get the more I love birds.

The baby squirrels are growing fast. Their tails are now bushy and they are venturing wildly all over the two big elms.

Yes, I've been lonely for family, friends, and my work family, but all the creatures and plants have been amazing. I'm very thankful to have them.

May you be blessed, well, healthy, joyful, and thankful.

Thanks for stopping by!










No comments:

Post a Comment