Friday, February 9, 2024

Back in the (Mesquite-Hugging) Saddle Again

 Yesterday I did something I haven't done in a while - I went to my favorite park with a trash bag and a picker-upper.



    It's a spot I visit often, a beautiful and peaceful place a few blocks from home. While I often pick up a few pieces of trash there, this is the first time in a very long time that I went focused and equipped for that purpose.

    
    It felt good. It felt right.


    It's not anything huge, but it was nice to contribute to the beauty of the place rather than just soaking it in.


    Winter is a great season for picking trash up. The lack of green vegetation makes it easier to find and pick up all the flotsam that runs into the local ponds when it rains.


    Mostly I found cans and bottles, but I also encountered clothes, toys, hygiene products, and a couple of car parts.


    I spent about five minutes filling the bag. Then I spent another five minutes just breathing in and praying thanks.

    Afterwards, I took a few pictures of ducks on the pond and was rewarded with a bird I never expected to see in the wild - especially not in the wilds of Lubbock - a Japanese wood duck!

(the one at the top)

    Last night was wonderful. The last several years have been rough ones. My focus has been on keeping the bills paid and repairing all the stuff that falls apart. But I started remembering times when stewardship was a regular focus. I remembered a time when Mesquite Hugger was a reflection of what I value. This planet, this environment, is a gift of incredible natural beauty. It is also our home that sustains us.

    I'm ready to get back to work. I hope you will join me and spread the word. One dork picking up trash and choosing to live cleaner won't make much of a difference, but a whole bunch of us working together and inviting others along - that can be the start of something wonderful!

(By the way, this morning I did something I haven't done in a while - I left the car at home and rode the bike to work. One more step...)

I am praying for you to be blessed, joyful, well, and motivated to make life better for all.

For a better look at the park mentioned in this post, check out this video:




No comments:

Post a Comment