Monday, December 7, 2015

A Sad Day for US Electro-Dorks - the MiEV is no more

On September 22, 2012, I was driving through Waco, Texas on my way to a funeral. And I saw it.

 
There it was in the flesh - the Mitsubishi MiEV. I had seen it in magazines. I had read and read and read about it. I had written to Santa Claus and I had tried to find out who the patron saint of electric vehicles was so I could pray to her. I wanted to see (and test drive) the electric car inspired by Humpty Dumpty.

Two rarities: a MiEV in Texas and an eggheaded MH selfie
 
I looked at the car. I pondered the meaning of life. I looked at my phone for the time. I had a choice to make - test drive the car or be on time to the funeral. I hopped back in my rent-a-dent and motored on. I knew that there would soon be egg cars everywhere and I could test drive the next one.
 
Since that point I have looked and looked and looked at every Mitsubishi lot I travel past. Not one little egg to be seen.
 
Fast forward to a sprinkling of weeks ago. My wife and I were headed south into Taos. Coming at us was a burgundy MiEV. My heart leapt. My wife asked what that ugly thing was. Sigh.
 
Today I read on Gas2 an article that referenced Autoblog stating that Mitsubishi has announced that they will no longer sell my tiny, little dream car. Goodbye, Norma Jean.
 
Steve Hanley and Jay Leno, I don't care what you say! I will miss the Eggbert I never got to know!
 
December 7th, a day that will truly live in electric car infamy.
 
Dear Reader, may December 8th bring you brighter news.

No comments:

Post a Comment