Saturday, February 27, 2016

Mesquite Huggerism and a few big questions


We saw (and heard) Cornel West speak Thursday night, and I am thankful we were there. The speech was based on four questions asked by W.E.B DuBois.

(Image from this article)

The questions have been ringing in my head since. You see, I have been struggling with integrity lately. I believe that our actions reflect our beliefs. But my actions have been focused on paying bills and whittling down "the list". It's not so much a selling of my soul but an ignoring of it. I basically worship the list and try to squeeze thoughts of of integrity, truth, and virtue away.

I am a Christian, but I sweep my beliefs under the rug of convenience.
I am an environmentalist, but I am scared to offend others with my words and actions.
I am a husband, father, son, brother, and friend, but I juggle the people in my life more than I embrace them.
I love books and reading, but I seldom read.
I love time in nature but I spend free time on my phone.

And the damn shame of it all is that I am making no effort change that.

Thank you, West and DuBois, for shining a light on integrity.

May your list lead to integrity, truth, decency, and virtue.

Thank you for reading. How's your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment