Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Earth Day Lubbock 2024: e-Bikes Locally Available

If you're interested in making Lubbock a healthier place to live, please attend. (earthdaylbk.com)

Hey everybody, with Earth Day 2024 so close, it seems like a great time to remind you that e-bikes are amazingly efficient and affordable tool for getting around, getting fit, and helping the earth to be a healthier and more livable place for all of us.

For those of you interested in electric vehicles, Earth Day LBK will be a really good opportunity to learn about what's available in our little corner of the world. 

I've been riding the same e-bike for six years now and have done very little maintenance on it. The only parts I've had to replace are tires and brake pads. The electric bike helps me to get to work and to run errands even when the West Texas wind is blowing. It allows me to leave the carbon-powered car at home in the driveway and to get some exercise while actually enjoying my commutes. Also, it costs less than two dollars per month to keep the battery charged. Finally, riding the e-bike has helped in keeping my weight and blood pressure under control - riding an e-bike can be pretty danged awesome!

Riding an e-bike has improved my physical and mental health, my financial situation, and my carbon footprint, and that is why I am encouraging you get out and try one this Earth month!

Where can you check out e-bikes here in Lubbock?


Local Bike Shops

We are lucky enough to have a few dealers in town that sell (AND SERVICE) some very nice e-bikes at prices competitive to most online companies. In some cases, they even allow you to order from their brands and have the bike delivered to the shop so they can assemble and tune them before you take it home. That is a HUGE bonus!

I stopped by two local shops this week and snapped a few pics to let you see what's out there. These are not all the e-bikes they had in stock, but they should give you a good idea of what they have. If you visit, please tell them the Mesquite Hugger sent you!

Velocity Bike Shop - 3829 50th Street

The Specialized Haul (cargo bike) had me drooling - who needs a car?
(I also dig the Haro next to it! I want a Haro Johnny 5 e-bike.)

Velocity had a great selection of both electric commuters and electric mountain bikes.  I was also excited to see an Aventon cargo e-bike (a brand that they do not sell) being tuned up in their service department. (In case you haven't been around here much, I adore cargo bikes, and seeing two of them in the same shop made me extremely happy!)
 
Electric mountain bikes from Specialized, Giant, and Santa Cruz

DFC Cycles and Fitness - 6701 Indiana Ave (+ South Plains Cycles - 6602 Slide Road)

DFC had a great selection just inside the front door and several more scattered around the shop. Lots of great bikes (and some great sales!)

DFC also has an impressive stock of electric bikes to check out from some very well-known names. The owner there told me know they have even more inventory on-site and at their sister location, South Plains Cycles.

This Marin cruiser/commuter really caught my eye - look at that sale price!


Where else can you see e-bikes in town?


Big Box Stores

I've seen electric bikes on display here in Lubbock at Target, Walmart, Costco, and Best Buy; and I'm sure there are other places in town that have them. It's unusual to see more than one on display and often they are still in the box. The most impressive examples have been at Best Buy. If you find any that interest you, pay close attention to online reviews videos to see if that/those bikes will fit your needs and will be dependable or easy to service.

Local Seller Websites

It's not rare to find used electric bikes for sale on Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, or Offerup. I've seen some tremendous bargains and some impressive nightmares. Again, do your research before you do any buying.

I guess that's about it for this post. Thanks for reading along! I pray that you (and the earth) are well and constantly better, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment