Monday, September 15, 2014

Lubbock (Street) on a (Rented) Bike: Fort Worth

Don't Blame it on the Rain, blame it on the National Bike Challenge. I found myself in Fort Worth again this weekend and did not want to break a twenty-eight day streak of daily biking. So I busted out the debit card and rented a bike from Fort Worth Bike Sharing for a two-mile ride. Be sure to check out the video on the link to see how it's done. As I usually do on a bike, I had a great time. I even found Lubbock Street and grabbed a quick snapshot to share with you.


It was a very heavy duty bike with a disk front brake and a 3-speed Shimano Nexus hub. I have wondered if a commuter could be happy with a 3-speed. For me, the answer is yes. It had built-in lights, a basket and a rear rack. It even had a built-in cable lock. It was easy to ride and the very broad range served me well both uphill and downhill - so strange to ride in a place with noticeable elevation changes.

what it costs

I must say, it's a very cool system and I hope to take advantage of it the next time I am there. There are a few bike-share stations near the Trinity River Bike Trail, and I can't think of a better way to see a beautiful part of Fort Worth - well, maybe in a canoe, but I have not yet spotted the canoe share rack in the area. So, I will stick with the plan for the weekend that Tech plays TCU. Maybe I can sneak away from the football fans and have a leisurely cruise in a peaceful place.


If Lubbock had a bike-share setup, I'd seriously consider an annual membership. Having a sturdy and comfortable bike at my disposal with multiple drop points would be great. If you are in Fort Worth - or any place with a bike share, give it a try!

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.” Ernest Hemingway

May your pedal your way to health and prosperity!


No comments:

Post a Comment