Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and REPAIR, Snagit!

Snagit! Pure carelessness on my part.


Let me tell you about Jo's Coffee on South Congress in Austin. One of my favorite places and times to be is Sunday morning at Jo's. It's a walk-up coffee house in view of the state capitol. They have outdoor seating under something that eventually became known as a pergola. On the back wall of the pergola thingy is a wall of live music and cultural event flyers. (I was phenomenally happy the day I found Sarah Hickman next to the Old 97's.) And everybody comes to Jo's on Sunday morning.

Find this image here.


There is usually a trio or so of musicians playing - it is the live music capitol, you know. The dog walkers are there in force. The vintage motorcyclists, scooterists, and bicyclists show up. The wealthy show up, as do the homeless. The photography students show up to take photos of ironically placed biscotti. Foreign tourists show up to take photos of the photo students. The granolas sneer at the hipsters, The hipsters sneer at the obviously wealthy.

My two favorite groups there are the dogs and the birds. The dogs are always overwhelmedly bored, and the birds are thrilled with the messy humans and their crumbs. Mostly, there are English sparrows and grackles. And I know that it is an unpopular thing to say, but I love grackles. We tend to love things until they become successful, and grackles are hated for thriving. These mean, beautiful, and graceful creatures offer me endless enjoyment in watching their antics, and they represent Jo's in my memories.

So, I was thrilled a while back when my beautiful wife went by Jo's and bought me a coffee mug with their grackle logo.

And snagit, I almost cried this morning when a wall carelessly jumped out and knocked the mug from my hand.


This one is going into the repair stack. I am not ready to part with it. So, what adhesive do you recommend for putting a porcelain cup back together?

May you enjoy the antics of a grackle this week. And may your favorite cup be immortal.

No comments:

Post a Comment