Thursday, December 18, 2014

"The problem is...we're human." Joe Hanson



A YouTube video showed up on Grist today: Why People Don't Believe in Climate Science. It's a little over 7 minutes and it explains a lot about the ways our brains choose to deal with or not deal with threats.

I watched a little bit and shut it off. I am a victim of my own "optimism bias" and I have a "finite pool of worry." I kid - I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it a great deal. And now I am armed with phrases like "optimism bias" and "finite pool of worry." And I have a better understanding of the community around me that wants bigger trucks, more beef, and more trainloads of coal to power our stuff. What I did not gain is an understanding of what to do.

For now, maybe it's time to hang up my keys and get back to pedaling. Please flip off the lights on your way out.

May we work together for better.

No comments:

Post a Comment