Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Lubbock Local Wildlife: Get Ready for Spring (SPWRC)

One of our backyard elms has a hole. It's a great hole! A few years ago, starlings moved in and started raising little starlets. In springtime I spend a lot of time watching the comings and goings from our kitchen window. A few days ago, I saw two squirrels run quickly into the hole. So, I stood at the window and impatiently sipped my coffee. After a few minutes, a squirrel face peered out of the hole. She looked around, waited a bit, and then she ran out onto the tree trunk. A few minutes later, a smaller face appeared, looked around for a bit, and ran out. I know that people are supposed to see squirrels as mortal enemies, but I don't. It made me quite happy to see these two. Then another small face appeared, and another, and another. An adult and four youngsters eventually came out of that hole. It was a great start to my day.

Why do I tell you this? Because it's spring. Because the male grackles are fool-dancing for the ladies. Because the English sparrows are in the mood. Because the squirrels have been listening to their Barry White albums.

And the storks are on their way bringing lots and lots of babies!

So, what do you do if you find a baby bird or baby mammal and you want to help it out? You don't call me. I had a horrible track record with found babies until I learned the secret - get thee to the SPWRC! The South Plains Wildlife Rehabilitation Center is a group of local heroes who spend their time working to rehabilitate and release local wildlife in need of help. They are busy folks!  And they are a great resource for local people and for people all over. They have put together these two pages to help you know what to do if you find a displaced baby:


 
 

While you are on their site, be sure to read about their drop-off center in case you find local wildlife that is sick or injured. And, if you would like to support them in their mission, you can find volunteer opportunities, wishlists, and a few ways to donate money. You can even buy a Give a Hoot T-shirt. Please tell them the Mesquite Hugger sent you!

May you live in a place where people actively care for others.

Bonus video: Tank Girl gets all Cole Porter (Dedicated to Grizz!)

No comments:

Post a Comment