Sunday, November 25, 2018

Not quite Black (Dog) Friday this year...

...but still a great day!

Our Black Friday tradition the last few years has been to take the dogs to Caprock Canyons State Park for a hike. This year, though, we didn't have a whole day free, and my wife had to work in the morning. So I went for plan B - a morning mountain bike ride at Mae Simmons.

The parking lot was empty. My kind of Black Friday!

The prairie dogs were out in force - my kind of Black Friday crowds!

They had a lot to say about the guy on the bike.

Keep looking where you're going - not where you are.

Yep, the old commuter bike's not scared to go offroad.

As a bike dork who spends most of his bike time on the street, it's been a lot of fun to ride something challenging. It's nice to push my limits - in coordination, strength, and fear.  I was able to ride all of the downhill stuff well enough. I walked the bike up about half of the uphill stuff. As much as I love the electric bike on the street, I'm happy not to have an electric mountain bike. The hill climbing gives me something to work for. 

The morning's ride - a little under 4 miles

Picked up a big thorn - but the air stayed in!

The moral of this story, you don't have to go far to have an outdoor adventure, to avoid the Black Friday shoppers, and to burn off some of those potatoes and pumpkin pie!

May you get outside and enjoy the world while not breaking the bank account. 

No comments:

Post a Comment