Monday, August 18, 2014

Fun article titles to tell us that the 'burbs are killing us fatly

In case I have not mentioned it before, I am overweight. If you subscribe to those ideal weight charts, I am about 80 pounds overweight. My Body Mass Index is about 35. That qualifies me for the designation of obese. Hand in hand with that is the fact that without taking a pill each day, I have high blood pressure. It is probably not a coincidence that I have spent my life in the suburban wilds of West Texas.

The gist of these articles is that urban areas require more walking than suburban areas; therefore, urban areas force people to be healthier. Or maybe the opposite of that - we suburbanites do not walk enough, so we are overweight and more prone to obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease. For us suburbanites, that's the bad news.

Do we look fat in these suburbs?

Just living close to Walmart makes you fat.

These articles hit close to home.

But there is good news.




Yes, I am probably oversimplifying a bit, but tonight I plan to take the hounds on a long walk. Tomorrow, I plan to ride the bike to work. And I am inviting you to join me. Let's be better than the limitations of where we choose to live.

May your body carry you to better health. And may your car (and the air you breathe) get a little rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment