Sunday, October 25, 2015

I met a climate hero!

Saturday was a great day to be a Tech professor fan! Apparently, the Tech football fans can't say the same.

Okay. I am excited.

I generally don't have a lot of heroes. I don't get excited about athletes or movie stars. But there are a few people...

Yesterday I met Dr. Katharine Hayhoe. If there is such thing as an eco hero, she's high up on the list. She is an atmospheric scientist based out of Texas Tech, but her reach is worldwide. You may have read about her in Time, or seen her on Showtime, or read her book. You may even be one of those five people who have have read about her on Mesquite Hugger. Yes, I am a big fan, and, after hearing her speak, I am an even bigger fan.

You may be asking what makes her such a rock star among climate celebs. It's fairly simple - she has a powerful grasp of a large number of complicated concepts, and she is able to explain them in very simple terms. (It doesn't hurt that she's an entertaining speaker.)

But does that make her a hero? Almost. I mean, yes, it does. People listen to her. People listen to her and learn. They listen to her and have a better understanding of the climate-based challenges we face. They listen to her and they are inspired to  make positive change. That is what makes her a hero.

It's not the first time it's happened, but I listened to her (again) and am inspired to make another positive change (again). This time, I am joining the Citizen's Climate Lobby (So is my wife!) - be sure to check them out if you want to save the planet AND receive a check in the mail for doing so.

I will tell you more about that adventure as it happens.

May your heroes inspire you to create a better place for us all!

PS. I have now met Robert Hass, Bill McKibben, and Dr. Hayhoe. Now, if I can figure out how to bump into Annie Leonard and Dr. James Hansen in the grocery store, my hero checklist will be complete!

As always, thank you for reading!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment