Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Climate Talk in Lubbock?!!! A nice welcome home!

I read the news with excitement this morning. There is a climate change talk at the local university this Saturday.

Last week my wife and I took a mini vacation in a beautiful place and a place where there are signs that some of the locals give a damn. Monday was our first day back, and I have to admit that it was hard to settle back into our home town.

Free publications encouraging green energy and conservation - imagine that!

Speaking of conservation...

A business operating completely on its own solar power
 
My kind of carport!
 
Not so much.

I watch closely and see few signs that anyone here gives any thought to (or even believes in) climate change. The main local focuses seem to be bigger houses, more powerful cars, and more extravagant ways to tailgate. Yep, I sometimes feel like a green peg in a black hole.

But I now have plans for Saturday. From 1:00-3:30 (Room 169 of the Human Sciences Building at Texas Tech) there is a free talk about climate change. And I am excited. There will be two speakers, and one of them has shown up on Mesquite Hugger before - Dr. Katharine Hayhoe, the internationally known climate scientist, a woman who gives me hope as a mesquite hugger, as a Christian, and as a human being

Learn more here:
http://lubbockonline.com/education/2015-10-20/climate-change-event-scheduled-saturday-texas-tech

May we meet somewhere to deal with the damage that we have been inflicting on our badly battered planet.


No comments:

Post a Comment